Sunday, August 26, 2007

Thing #18: Firefox Add-ons and Extensions

I really like Firefox and the nifty extensions it offers. I've been using LibX for months now and I can't live without it. It drives me nuts when I'm working on a computer that doesn't have it. It was especially helpful before we could search by ISSN/ISBN in Cruzcat. Incidentally, if you click "New Search" from cruzcat, or if you are navigating within search results, the ISSN/ISBN search criterion is not there (When the URL root is http://cruzcat.ucsc.edu/search/......)

I think the Cruzcat search engine was extremely easy to install and I'm sure our patrons can find it useful. Personally, I'll probably us LibX more especially for the right-click, xisbn, and UC-eLinks features. However for simple searching I think the search engine is perfect for patrons.

I think we should have some type of link to download both Libx and the Cruzcat search engine on the library homepage. The only way I knew about LibX was by word of mouth and the Cruzcat search engine from this exercise. These are awesome tools and we should make them more available to our patrons.

No comments: