Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thing #11: Folksonomies, LibraryThing

First, let me begin by saying "The love child of Melvyl, Dewey, and Web 2.0" is my favorite quote of the month. I love it.

LibraryThing is amazing! Polly Mae and I are truly having fun searching it. I love everything about it that I have explored so far. I looked up one of my favorite books, The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud, and I was greeted with a cloud (?) of tags used to describe it, a list of recommended books, reviews, links to chats about the book, ratings, links to bookstores I could purchase it at, pictures of different covers, probably all of the different ISBNs for it, and (my favorite) WIKIPEDIA LINKS relating to the book. WOW.

I've read many of the books on the recommended reading list, but some I haven't heard of. After learning more about them, there is no question as to why they are associated with The Interpretation of Dreams. I really like that the recommended books aren't just a list of other works by Freud, nor are they reviews of the original book. I think the tags for this are awesome! Are they created by the members who own this book, or does LibraryThing have a set of basic ones that are tagged on purpose?

I really liked looking at the Danbury Public catalog. I would love it if Cruzcat would link to LibraryThing. It seems like our patrons would get so much more out of just one simple search! The only LC subject headings for my book were "psychoanalysis", "dreams", and sometimes the author's name. It would be much more helpful if the dozen tags related to the subject popped up along with the recommended reading list. I vote for it. Do we have to have a bake sale to get it?


ps Mon rocks.

1 comment:

Polly Mae + John said...

I would love to have a bake sale! What are we having it for?