Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thing #16: Library 2.0

Away from Icebergs
Iceberg #1: I don't think I know enough about libraries and collection planning to form an opinion about this. All I know is that it scares me to think of a library that has more of a digital collection than print collection...but at the same time I can see his argument that it is wasteful to collect items that are never used. Hmmmm...
Iceberg#2:What IS our patron to staff ratio?? ....I think this "iceberg" is a very real concern for our library. I don't really see how this is a NEW concern though... if anything new technology is making it easier to connect with our patrons.
Iceberg#3: Wow. I totally agree with this. I think Anderson put it well when he wrote we need to be humble. Before UCSC I did not have access to a decent library. In fact, the 'library' at my high school was on the San Diego news for having a ridiculously outdated collection. (Yeah, we still had books calling for the Berlin wall to be torn down.) I couldn't imagine anyone NOT wanting to come to a library...I sometimes mistake patron's attitude of "I want it now" for taking the library for granted; I have to remember that in today's research world, patrons are used to getting things instantly delivered TO them. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Why shouldn't we adapt to this need?

To better bibliographic services
Man. Sometimes it has been difficult for me to think of library uses for all this new technology I'm using. I like the idea of tagging-- like in the LibraryThing. I also like the author's idea of using RSS feeds to help streamline bibliographic data. Some of this stuff is over my head though...but I'm glad someone is thinking

To a temporary place in time
This article was quite interesting. From the previous SL lesson, it seems like the author's visions of Library 2.0 and 3.0 are happening simultaneously in some cases. I think it will take some time fore most libriaries to move into the 2.0 phase....simply doing these 23 things does not make me a Library 2.0 expert. I am just more aware of these tools. The idea of a virtual librarian appearing to help you when you log on to Amazon seems cool, but I don't know if people will start collecting them. It's also strange to think of librarians competing over user reviews....maybe I'm just thinking of my crazy aunt in Texas who obsesses over her ebay stars. I'm not sure I understood all of 4.0 either....




My thoughts on Library 2.0...
I like this vision of a new and technologically integrated library. I kinda wish that these 23 things were mandatory for libstaff; I think we all need to be aware of the new tools technology brings us and how we can use them to provide better service to our patrons.

No comments: