Sunday, August 19, 2007

Thing #15: CSE's...Google!

I tried first messing with my iGoogle page. (Which sounds reminds me of iMacs and iPods.) Many of the features I can add remind me of what is on my Google Desktop-which by the way, everyone should get. It'll change your life.

I'm trying to create a CSE through Google.... I want to have a search that will only go through the ucsc.edu pages....but I know there are the www2 and the www ones... do I use it as a whole site or is it a domain? I don't know the difference....and what about sites like http://kresge.ucsc.edu would that be included if under the plain old www one? Well I did www.ucsc.edu/*, www2.ucsc.edu/*, and ucsc.edu/*

I do like that they have a preview feature before you finish making your CSE......success! I've added it to my iGoogle homepage but I'm not sure it worked; I did a search for library and the first few sites were ucsc related but a bunch came up that were not.....did these come up because on some page that ends in ucsc.edu there is a link to these other pages? The same thing happened when I typed in "Interlibrary Loan" When I typed in "College Ten" all the results were UCSC related.

Personally, I can't think of any other custom sites I would like to search. While I agree that results on the second or third pages may be more relevant to whatever my current search may be, I look for so many random things everyday I can't think of a group of sites I would want to specifically search on a regular basis and I'm too lazy to look on the second and third pages.

However I can see the potential to search library pages; I know I've seen such Google CSE choices on other organization's homepages. You can choose "search the web" or "search ucsc" I think it's awesome...now I only have to figure out what to use it for.

No comments: