Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thing #10: Technocrati, Tagging and Pinging

I must admit, I like saying the word "ping". That's about it. I felt a little weird pinging the world and letting them know I updated my blog. I don't think anybody would really care too much. I went back to see if any of the blog search engines could find my blog.....I used very specific keywords from previous entries that only my blog, or someone else doing UCSC Lib 2.0 would have. Of the 9 search engines I tried, only two (Technocrati and Ice Rocket) "found" me. (Weblogs, Feedburner, Feedster, Blogdigger, Yahoo!, WeBlogALot, PubSub could not).

I'm not sure if the search engines 'look' only at my most recent blog or if they search keywords throughout any blog that has pinged them. I tried keywords from both my most recent and the earlier blogs and again only the two search engines worked.

I'm trying to move away from the idea that blogs are just social networking tools used by high schoolers to update the world on what they wore to class. I can see that we are all obviously using these blogs to learn more about how new technology can help us better serve our patrons but I'm not sure how pinging would come in to play when it comes to helping with academic research. If I was a student looking up research tools I wouldn't think to search a blog engine for information. Even if I knew a "research blog" existed, I'd probably just go to it instead of searching. Of course, that is just my humble opinion and maybe people who are more blog savvy and look at them in a different light would disagree. Also, I can see the benefits in using it to communicate internally about events and changes in the library.

No comments: