Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thing #6: Social Networks 1

Social Networks.....

MySpace.....
aaah. Myspace. I know it's very easy to get sucked in to Myspace. I have many friends who do most of their social interactions through their myspace profiles. The etiquette rules on myspace are what get me... so and so commented on your page and you took more than one day to respond....or you logged on and didn't send them a picture back.... too weird. It also creeps me out that people you've never met before find you and ask to be your friend. I guess it's a good thing.... but still kinda creepy. Oh, and the only protection on there for young people is changing your age to under 14....which makes your profile private. But that isn't enforced and it can be easily changed.


Facebook...
I've never really used Facebook, but it looks fun and I've heard good feedback on it. I do like that you can link pictures with everyone. Although I would be nervous about putting my name and face out there... I heard someone talking about Facebook in lecture a couple of years ago and she said "Yeah, I only use Facebook because it's more elitist. People who use Myspace aren't even in college." ......that alone turned me off to Facebook. Although I guess now it's open to everyone. I'm still not in to it.

Ning...
I like the fact that this is arranged for groups. I found a lotr group and there are all kinds of posts and comments AND RSS feeds! Very cool. Still probably not for me though.

.....Still trying to think of ways libraries can use these sites though. I mean I could see setting up library or academic research related pages, but will people really use them? If people are going to myspace to leave comment pictures of the fun time last night, are they really going to stop off to do research on their paper?

No comments: